Saturday, March 15, 2014

I really don't know what to write today.

January 26, 2014

I was talking to my companion... we do that a lot... and we were both amazed at how fast this last transfer has gone by. It's scary. If it keeps going like this... I'm going to be on a plane home and have no idea how I got there!
It's so good too. The time seems to evaporate, but I write it all down, so hopefully I get to remember it when I get home too. Because right now, it's all blurring by. It's crazy compared to the 9 week eternity that training seemed to be. Training. Wow. It's an experience that I don't wish on anyone. I learned so much... and it was probably the hardest 9 weeks of my life. I would take biochemistry AND pathophysiology anyday. 
But it gets better. SO MUCH BETTER!
It's amazing how you don't think it's ever going to end... and then... you look around. And everything got better. You understand what's going on (at least to the point that you can understand a little bit...), you learn to love the people, you make friends, you don't feel alone. When did it all happen? I couldn't tell you. But it is so wonderful. I look back, and I have so many experiences like this in my life. None this powerful, but I look at all the times when I have felt confused, lost, friendless... and it just makes me more aware of my Heavenly Father's power and ability to help me through ANYTHING. I'm never alone. I'm never helpless. He's got it all under control. 
One of my favorite things I heard from my sister training leader (Sister Mack) was, "Not everything is going to suck all at once." It's true. Even in the hardest times... you can find a little ray of sunshine. Whether it was being able to ride my bike, or being able to have a decent conversation with a Thai person... there are always perks. Focus on them... rather than all of the hard things. Because the hard things aren't here to stay. They will pass, and you'll be stronger.
I loved a scripture I found this last week. 2 Corinthians 12:9. 
God says, "My strength is made perfect in weakness." It's true. He shows his power and his strength in weak and imperfect people like me. It's a pretty great and kinda crazy experience. I see all these miracles happen. Everyday. And I wonder how it keeps happening and how I can manage to stay worthy of them all... all I know is that he is my very loving Father in Heaven. And I think he might like to spoil his kids. Just a little bit. He has perfect strength. Perfect power. He doesn't REALLY need me... and yet he decides to use me and to show me how perfect he is THROUGH me and my somewhat shabby efforts. I'm working on it. And the best part is that he understands. 

a cool story i thought i'd share. (so i got bored of typing correctly... no more capitalization for jess today!) 
a man walked into a stone quarry and saw that there were three men cutting stone. 
he walked up to the first man and asked him what he was doing. 
"i am cutting stone," he said.
he walked over to the second man and asked him the same question.
"i am earning 3 gold pieces," came the reply. 
then, walking over to the last man, he repeated the question a third time.
"i am building a house of god."

we heard this story yesterday in church. and i thought about my responses to EVERYTHING i do in life. am i merely cutting stone? or am i focusing on the grander, wider scheme of things? am i just trying to get a baptism... or am i trying to build eternal families by helping to get a temple here in thailand???
just a thought. ;)

sorry i have no crazy stories today... we started teaching an athiest. she believes in god now. and she's going to get baptized. (whenever she goes back to china and gets her visa.) the life of an international missionary... 
the mobs keep people from coming to church.
i still haven't seen anything. just a bunch of em chillin at our intersection. but we are faaaaaaaaar away from any real trouble. no worries. :) and we have years worth of brown rice in the apartment. if i didn't love rice before... i had no choice.

oh. and if you want to try some REAL GOOD thai food: 
som tham? som dam? shom tham? i'm not really sure how it's spelled in english...
it's a thai salad. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. my favorite!
and suki. sugi. bah. SO RIDICULOUSLY GOOD! 


you got this. we all do! 
the one movie quote i do remember - "never give up, never surrender!" 
love you all. 
keep up the good work!
sister ellis
 
 
Bangkok pollution... and yet so pretty

this is a horrible picture of me. but funny.

the cute little packages they put our ice cream in...


kokret pottery. and delicious cocoa. the best combination!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment